Peace in the midst of a global pandemic
Updated: Mar 20
There is a very real, almost tangible, atmosphere of fear in the world right now. And if you've paid a visit to the toilet paper aisle at your local grocery store in recent days you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. COVID-19 has flipped-turned our world upside down.
If you're anything like me, watching the news or going on social media probably isn't doing anything to allay your fears.
But what if I told you that you can feel peace in the midst of personal trials and global turmoil? What if I told you that you could even expect to feel joy?
The Hiding Place
Cornelia "Corrie" ten Boom was a daughter of a Dutch watchmaker, who, during World War II saved hundreds of Jews from death by offering them a hiding place in a secret room no larger than a small wardrobe above her father's watch shop in Haarlem. The ten Booms were eventually betrayed by a fellow Dutch citizen and imprisoned. Corrie survived life in a Nazi concentration camp, though her father and sister did not, and went on to share her story through a book she wrote called "The Hiding Place."
This book is filled with many tearful moments that demonstrate that it is often-times in our darkest moments when God's light shines the brightest. No matter how difficult our circumstances here on earth, Christ has promised us that He will be our hiding place in times of trouble.
When Corrie felt as though her world was falling apart, she turned to the only one who could patch it back together.
"I know that the experiences of our lives, when we let God use them, become the mysterious and perfect preparation for the work He will give us to do." - Corrie ten Boom
Corrie shared the gospel message with her fellow prisoners in the concentration camp, even when doing so could have led her to the gas chambers. She did not lose hope, even when death was knocking at the door.
Look up child
We, too, can have the sort of peace that Corrie felt during her time in the concentration camp. We, too, can look to Jesus, who endured the cross on our behalf, to bring us peace during times of uncertainty.
Here is a list of 10 scripture verses that have brought me peace when the walls around me seem to be closing in:
1. "Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah." —Psalm 32:7
2. “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?” —Psalm 27:1
3. “It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.” —Deuteronomy 31:8
4. “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” —Psalm 23:4
5. “The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” —Lamentations 3:22-23
6. “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” —Psalm 46:1
7. “I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” —John 16:33
8. “No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.” —Romans 8:37-39
9. “He sets on high those who are lowly, and those who mourn are lifted to safety.” —Job 5:11
10. “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.” —John 14:27